Pages

Monday 7 April 2014

Excerpts from the diary of Chris Hughton - Part 4

Excerpts from the diary of Chris Hughton - Part 4

Hughton, we have a problem.

It is over. Me and David sat down on saturday evening and discussed the match. I was slightly excitable due to the fact I had eaten a mars bar before the meeting and was experiencing a sugar rush. I hoped David would not see this as a sign that I wasn't hurting from the loss of today.

I told him I would keep the team up and was still on task to do though. We have been incredibly unlucky this season with my innovative tactics and mental preparation thwarted by a combination of bad luck and circumstance.

As I cleared out my things I called a few select players into my office for a final goodbye. Luciano, my friend, I was sad to leave. We have enjoyed many a moment on the training pitch and our time together will not be forgotten.

Wesley. Both of us short enough to sneak into the cafeteria and steal the last brownies without anyone seeing. Another player I will be sad to leave. I enjoyed a good relationship with most. The exception, Sebastian. I was still furious at him for his abject performance against West Brom I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye.

I took a final look at my tactics board. Oh the memories. Late nights with Colin, drawing diagrams of how the team was going to get the ball out to the wing, diagrams of Elmander's surging runs into the box... I'm truly going to miss it.

My parting words to David were diplomatic and frank. He asked me if I was a better fit than Neil Adams and I replied, "Neil is a threatening manager who will always put out a good side. I haven't perhaps got my formula right this season but what you will get from Neil is a great performance. I'm aware of what threats he brings to the table and I would do my best to combat them but as I said, Neil will always put out a very good side and I have to take note of that".

Driving home I contemplated my next move, TV? the Cardiff job? I don't quite know what's around the corner but i'm confident that Mcnally will be begging for me back at the end of the season. Year on year i've delivered consistent away performances and results, and at home I'll always send the fans home with a smile on their faces.


No comments:

Post a Comment