Pages

Sunday 2 February 2014

Excerpts from the diary of Chris Hughton Part 1

Cardiff City 2 - 1 Norwich City

A Chris Hughton delusion Special

Fresh from a scintillating 0-0 draw at home to Newcastle, my spirits were sky-high going into the game against Cardiff. Training this week had been fantastic, capped by Wes Hoolahan singing my praises on the eve on the transfer deadline. None of my players wanted to leave which was a huge bonus, it will allow me to continue my rotation of the squad for the remainder of the season and offer me the maximum amount of options for my continued formation changes.

Just the other day I had Luciano Becchio in my office, I told him how impressed I was with him in training, and as a special reward he could view the game from the bench as opposed from the comfort of his home. He was so overjoyed at this he ran straight home to inform his family. I haven't seen him since so i'm sure he's waiting to thank me on saturday.

As the match was approaching, their was an increased intensity in friday's training. This prompted me to run to my office with unconfined joy as I'd had a phenomenal stroke of brilliance for my formation which I was sure the opposition would never guess... 4-4-2!

Now, i'm not a stupid man and I was aware that the fans haven't been too happy with my famed 4-5-1 approach so I was certain that this would get them back on-side. I was unsure, however that my strikers would enjoy this as they had been enjoying so many chances with my former tactics. I decided that I would approach them cautiously and see what they thought and to my surprise they took the news rather well! I then got to work on counter-balancing the midfield so we wouldn't seem too promiscuous going into the match.

Match-day came and I was mildly surprised to see us venture forward and grab the first goal, something I hadn't planned so come half time I instructed the team to defend for their lives and not be too adventurous in the second half. My team talk was a success! within six minutes we were back to where we've been for most of the season, playing catch-up... my favourite.

My raging bull, Bradley Johnson, who had played a sublime pass to me (yes, me!) during a slick passing move against Newcastle last tuesday, was back in the side after being wrongly accused of an over-zealous attempt at instigating a wrestling match with Loic Remy. To celebrate, i dropped Leroy Fer and paired him up with the equally defensive Alex Tettey. Someone who I admire due to his reluctance to power forward and create attacking opportunities.

The full-time whistle came. To my team, I offer a hearty congratulations for a fine attempt at trying to scrape a draw, and commiserations for not being able to achieve the point we so desired. My congratulations go to Cardiff for picking up three points, a feat which they shall soon learn is delusionary, three points won't win you the race for survival. 

And now, I look to Man City, watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment